Current:Home > InvestFamily of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit -Streamline Finance
Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 15:02:20
The family of a French explorer who died in a submersible implosion has filed a wrongful death lawsuit seeking more than $50 million that accuses the sub’s operator of gross negligence.
Paul-Henri Nargeolet was among five people who died when the Titan submersible imploded during a voyage to the famed Titanic wreck site in the North Atlantic in June 2023. No one survived the trip aboard the experimental submersible owned by OceanGate, a company in Washington state that has since suspended operations.
Known as “Mr. Titanic,” Nargeolet participated in 37 dives to the Titanic site, the most of any diver in the world, according to the lawsuit. He was regarded as one of the world’s most knowledgeable people about the famous wreck. Attorneys for his estate said in an emailed statement that the “doomed submersible” had a “troubled history,” and that OceanGate failed to disclose key facts about the vessel and its durability.
“The lawsuit further alleges that even though Nargeolet had been designated by OceanGate to be a member of the crew of the vessel, many of the particulars about the vessel’s flaws and shortcomings were not disclosed and were purposely concealed,” the attorneys, the Buzbee Law Firm of Houston, Texas, said in their statement.
A spokesperson for OceanGate declined to comment on the lawsuit, which was filed Tuesday in King County, Washington. The lawsuit describes Nargeolet as an employee of OceanGate and a crew member on the Titan.
Tony Buzbee, one of the attorneys on the case, said one goal of the lawsuit is to “get answers for the family as to exactly how this happened, who all were involved, and how those involved could allow this to happen.”
Concerns were raised in the aftermath of the disaster about whether the Titan was doomed due to its unconventional design and its creator’s refusal to submit to independent checks that are standard in the industry. Its implosion also raised questions about the viability and future of private deep-sea exploration.
The U.S. Coast Guard quickly convened a high-level investigation, which is ongoing. A key public hearing that is part of the investigation is scheduled to take place in September.
The Titan made its last dive on June 18, 2023, a Sunday morning, and lost contact with its support vessel about two hours later. After a search and rescue mission that drew attention around the world, the wreckage of the Titan was found on the ocean floor about 984 feet (300 meters) off the bow of the Titanic, about 435 miles (700 kilometers) south of St. John’s, Newfoundland.
OceanGate CEO and cofounder Stockton Rush was operating the Titan when it imploded. In addition to Rush and Nargeolet, the implosion killed British adventurer Hamish Harding and two members of a prominent Pakistani family, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood.
The company that owns the salvage rights to the Titanic is in the midst of its first voyage to the wreckage site in years. Last month, RMS Titanic Inc., a Georgia-based firm, launched its first expedition to the site since 2010 from Providence, Rhode Island.
Nargeolet was director of underwater research for RMS Titanic. One of the expeditions Nargeolet took was the first visit to the Titanic in 1987, shortly after its location was discovered, the lawsuit states. His estate’s attorneys described him as a seasoned veteran of underwater exploration who would not have participated in the Titan expedition if the company had been more transparent.
The lawsuit blames the implosion on the “persistent carelessness, recklessness and negligence” of Oceangate, Rush and others.
“Decedent Nargeolet may have died doing what he loved to do, but his death — and the deaths of the other Titan crew members — was wrongful,” the lawsuit states.
veryGood! (36267)
Related
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Southern Baptists pick a California seminary president to lead its troubled administrative body
- No charges will be filed in nonbinary teen Nex Benedict's death, Oklahoma district attorney says
- Detroit Lions release CB Cam Sutton after alleged domestic violence incident
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Oakland extends Kentucky's NCAA Tournament woes with massive March Madness upset
- Riley Strain Case: College Student Found Dead 2 Weeks After Going Missing
- Ousted 'Jeopardy!' host Mike Richards slams 'rush to judgment' after lasting one day on job
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- What is Holi, the Hindu festival of colors and how is it celebrated?
Ranking
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- Southern Baptists pick a California seminary president to lead its troubled administrative body
- US Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas says Texas immigration law is unconstitutional
- Josh Peck speaks out on 'Quiet on Set' doc, shows support for former Nickelodeon co-star Drake Bell
- Bodycam footage shows high
- What to know about Duquesne after its NCAA men's tournament upset of Brigham Young
- Missouri Supreme Court declines to halt execution of man who killed couple in 2006
- Prosecutors in 3 Wisconsin counties decline to pursue charges against Trump committee, lawmaker
Recommendation
Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
Dominic Purcell Shares Video of Tish and Brandi Cyrus Amid Rumored Family Drama
Michael Strahan's Daughter Isabella Shares Update On Chemotherapy Timeline Amid Cancer Battle
Rwandan man in US charged with lying about his role during the 1994 genocide
The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
Margot Robbie Is Saying Sul Sul to The Sims Movie
Delta pilot gets 10 months in jail for showing up to flight drunk with half-empty bottle of Jägermeister
More than 440,000 Starbucks mugs recalled after reports of injuries from overheating and breakage